Monday, March 9, 2009

Catcher's Mitt

a hundred years ago young men did as they were told
I was told to go over the hills to Matney to work for Mr. Carver
It was a long trek and I never made it.
I spent five days wandering in the woods
drinking from the creek and eating fruit from the trees.
It wasnt quite autumn and the leaves were just starting to turn
I whistled aimlessly and caught a few crawfish under a rock
funny little lobsters, I wondered how they made it this far
I got bit by a horse fly, he wouldnt let go of my body
I jumped in the water and drowned him
One day late in the evening a stranger passed by me
he was old and had a face like a catchers mitt.
I dont know if he was lost too, he didnt say anything
we were whistling the same song.

by Justin Hantz

1 comment:

  1. you are a word-genius.. so smart that you probably know the real word for "Word-Genius"

    ReplyDelete